Why Choose Julia?
I know how difficult it can be when families break up. I have thirty (30) years of family law experience and expertise to help you through the process.
My family law experience includes:
- Extensive courtroom, appellate and administrative hearing experience, as both an attorney and as an Administrative Law Judge.
- Presiding as an Administrative Law Judge who decided child support and licensing cases for the State of Minnesota.
- Supervising family law appeals and providing legal support to family law attorneys in a legal services program covering Southwestern Minnesota.
- Providing training at the state and local level to other family law attorneys on family law and litigation issues.
- Obtaining special training to represent clients experiencing domestic abuse.
- Advocating for families of all types and backgrounds.
I know that families come in all shapes and sizes and that each situation is different. I am here to help your family obtain the best possible outcome and I have the substantive knowledge and experience to make it happen.
- University of Minnesota Law School, MN, Juris Doctorate, 1984
- University of Minnesota, Bachelor’s in Economics and Political Science
- Minnesota State Bar – Admitted 1985
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Birkholz & Associates (formerly Birkholz Law, LLC) – Associate Attorney – November 2019 to present.
- Craig Family Law, 2018-2019
- Senior Attorney and Litigation Support for Family Law Appeals, SouthernMinnesota Regional Legal Services (SMRLS) 2011-2018
- Lead Family Law and Housing Attorney, Southern Minnesota Legal Services(SMRLS) 2001-2011
- Administrative Law Judge, Office of Administrative Hearings 1995-1999
- Staff Attorney, Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services, Mankato1999-2011, 1986-1990 and Albert Lea 1990-1995
- Staff Attorney, MidMinnesota Legal Assistance 1985-1986
Awards and Honors
- Selected by the Battered Women’s Justice Project in 2015 and the National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges in 2007 for staff development training as a family law and domestic abuse expert.
- Recipient of the Dawn Carlson Award for exceptional family law work.
Activities and Interests
- Enjoys crafting, particularly sewing and knitting
- Avid bird watcher