Jacob (Jake) Birkholz, son of Dan Birkholz, is the owner and an attorney in the Mankato, Minnesota office of Birkholz & Associates. In practice since 2005, Jake has successfully handled numerous trials and countless other legal matters in Southern Minnesota.
Why Choose Jake?
"As your lawyer, think of me as the person whose duty it is to ask the questions you haven't even thought to ask. You hire a lawyer because you want to get a better result — often financially — in your legal matter than you would otherwise. The best lawyers achieve results, in large part, by knowing which details of your situation are important under the law and can benefit you most. Therefore, when you work with me, you can count on me to delve into your goals and ask about facts you didn't even think were relevant — all to put you on the best legal footing."
Never afraid to take a case to the courtroom, Jake's successes for clients include full acquittals for the defendant in criminal jury trials, complex divorce trials, and orders granting a parent’s custody of their children, eliminating harassment, and saving clients thousands of dollars in losses. He has also argued complex appeals before the Minnesota Supreme Court and Minnesota Court of Appeals.
In addition, Jake is experienced in offering a range of out-of-court services, including estate planning, real estate deeds and closings, and divorce settlements. He provides the experience and know-how to help you conclude a legal matter the right way, the first time. Whether it is a home sale, drafting your Last Will and Testament, or negotiating a property settlement in divorce, you can count on him to ask the right questions and educate you on your best legal options.
Contact Jake today for a free consultation about how he can be of service in your legal matter.
- University of St. Thomas School of Law, MN, Juris Doctorate, 2005
- Minnesota State University Mankato, Mankato MN. B.S. – Chemistry, Magna Cum Laude, 2002
Also attended University of Minnesota – Duluth, and Bethany Lutheran College, Mankato, MN
- Minnesota State Bar – Admitted October 28th 2005
- Iowa State Bar – Admitted September 20th 2007
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Appellate Case Work
- State v. M.D.T., 831 N.W.2d 276, 278 (Minn. 2013)
Argued to the Minnesota Supreme Court that expungement relief should extend to the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA), law enforcement and other executive branch agencies to provide full relief to people who apply for expunging their criminal records.
- State v. M.D.T., 815 N.W.2d 628, 630 (Minn. Ct. App. 2012), (June 27, 2012), rev’d in part, 831 N.W.2d 276 (Minn. 2013)
Prior to the Supreme Court, Birkholz & Associates won the case at the Court of Appeals.
- In the Matter of the Welfare of the Children of: C.L.W., C.W.P., N.L.A., A13-0377
Jake Birkholz handled a 12-day termination of parental rights case that is currently on appeal to the Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- In re Estate of Goossen, A11-1897, 2012 WL 2368983 (Minn. App. 2012)
Primary author of brief challenging the probate court’s determinations 1) that the client converted assets of his mother’s estate, entitling the estate to recover double damages under Minn. Stat. § 525.392, and 2) that his claims against the estate were untimely.
- Birkholz & Associates (formerly Birkholz Law, LLC), Associate Attorney, July 2008-present
- Judge Mary C. Leahy, Judicial Law Clerk, June 2007-June 2008
- Judge Kenneth L. Jorgensen, Judicial Law Clerk, January 2006-June 2007
- Judge Edward Wilson, Judicial Extern, Spring 2005
- Washington County Public Defender's Office, Certified Student Attorney Volunteer, Spring 2005
- MSBA Probate and Trust Section, Law Clerk, Fall 2004-Spring 2005
- Tilton and Dunn, PLLP, Law Clerk, 2004–2005
- Birkholz Law, LLC – Law Clerk, Summer 2003, 2004
- Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services, Volunteer Law Clerk, Summer 2004
Activities and Interests
- Spending time at his home in Mankato, with his four children, his German Shorthair Pointer dog, and four cats
- Hunting, fishing, water sports, downhill skiing, audio equipment and carpentry