Family Law: Divorce, Child Custody, Paternity, Parenting Time, Parenting Plans, Mediation, Child Support, Orders for Protection, Grandparent Visitation, Antenuptial/Prenuptials, Post-decree motions, Spousal Maintenance, Domestic Abuse issues, Appeals.
Criminal Defense: DWI, Assaults, Sexual Crimes, Domestic Assault, Thefts, Felonies, Harassment Restraining Orders, Burglary, Felonies, Gross Misdemeanors, Misdemeanors, Probation Violations, Traffic Tickets, Expungement, Restoration of Firearm Rights.
Estate Planning: Will and Trust Drafting
Details: Jacob Birkholz is the managing attorney in the Mankato, Minnesota office of Birkholz Law. For more than 40 years, Birkholz Law has been representing Southern and Southwestern Minnesota in the areas of family law, criminal law, real estate, estate planning, and litigation services. Jacob Birkholz is the son of Dan Birkholz, the founder of Birkholz Law.
Trial Attorney: Following in his father footsteps, Jake has extensive court room and trial experience. In the last year alone, he has had four criminal jury trials, and 3 of them full acquittals in the defense favor. In addition to the numerous motion hearings, Jacob Birkholz has tried numerous several day extensive complex family law divorce trials, and a legendary 12 day termination of parental rights trial in Jackson, Minnesota with over 200 exhibits, and over 20 witnesses, which is currently on appeal. He has also obtained numerous trial orders in child custody cases granting parent’s custody of their children, eliminating harassment and orders for protection, and saving clients thousands of dollars in losses.
If you want an attorney who will take your case to trial… contact Jake Birkholz.
- University of St. Thomas School of Law, MN, Juris Doctorate, 2005.
- Minnesota State University Mankato, Mankato MN. B.S. – Chemistry, Magna Cum Laude, 2002, also attended University of Minnesota – Duluth, and Bethany Lutheran College, Mankato, MN.
- Minnesota State Bar – Admitted October 28th 2005
- Iowa State Bar – Admitted September 20th 2007
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Appellate Case Work
- State v. M.D.T., 831 N.W.2d 276, 278 (Minn. 2013)
- Argued to the Minnesota Supreme Court that expungement relief should extend to the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA), law enforcement and other executive branch agencies to provide full relief to people who apply for expunging their criminal records.
- State v. M.D.T., 815 N.W.2d 628, 630 (Minn. Ct. App. 2012), (June 27, 2012), rev’d in part, 831 N.W.2d 276 (Minn. 2013)
- Prior to the Supreme Court, Birkholz Law, won the case at the Court of Appeals.
- In the Matter of the Welfare of the Children of: C.L.W., C.W.P., N.L.A., A13-0377
- Jake Birkholz handled a 12 day termination of parental rights case that is currently on appeal to the Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- In re Estate of Goossen, A11-1897, 2012 WL 2368983 (Minn. App. 2012)
- Primary author of brief challenging the probate court’s determinations that (1) he converted assets of his mother’s estate, entitling the estate to recover double damages under Minn. Stat. § 525.392 and that his claims against the estate were untimely.
- Birkholz Law, LLC – Associate Attorney – July 2008 to present
- Judge Mary C. Leahy – Judicial Law Clerk – June 2007 to June 2008
- Judge Kenneth L. Jorgensen – Judicial Law Clerk – January 2006 to June 2007
- Judge Edward Wilson – Judicial Extern – Spring 2005
- Washington County P. D.’s Office – Certified Student Attorney Volunteer – Spring 2005
- MSBA Probate and Trust Section – Law Clerk – Fall 2004 to Spring 2005
- Tilton and Dunn, PLLP – Law Clerk – 2004 – 2005
- Birkholz Law, LLC – Law Clerk – Summer 2003, 2004
- Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services – Volunteer Law Clerk – Summer 2004
Activities and Interests
- Spending time at his home in Mankato, with my four children, (ages 12, 10, 7, and 4), his German Shorthair Pointer dog, four cats.
- Hunting, Fishing, watersports, downhill skiing, audio equipment and carpentry.